Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Fave Albums: You Am I - Hourly, Daily


You Am I's third album, Hourly, Daily was released in 1996 and always reminds me of my study abroad year in Melbourne.  It's a very Australian album with Tim Rodger's lyrics about daily life and the various things he references in songs.  Besides the expected guitar rock of "Good Mornin'," "Mr. Milk, "Soldiers" and "Flag Fall $1.80" there are also surprising orchestral arrangements on songs such as "Tuesday," "Heavy Comfort" and "Please Don't Ask Me To Smile."  It's an album that takes you on a journey through one day and tells stories from different points of view along the way.

Favorite Lyric: Now your friends are like eyelashes, too many dropping off these days ("Heavy Comfort")

Favorite Song: "Mr. Milk"

2 comments:

Carly Findlay said...

This is also one of my fave albums. I'm longing to see them live. Mentioned you on my blog today - thanks for the info re street art :)
http://carlyfindlay.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/is-art-really-art-if-it-temporary.html

Nicole said...

I got to see them open for Crowded House at the Farewell show at the Opera House the year this album came out, which was quite an experience!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...